On The Shelf

Monday, 31 August 2026

2025/26 Hobby Review


Hi folks,

It is hard to believe that another year has passed. It feels like life is getting harder; I think it is just the stage of life many of us are in. Having a hobby is such a precious thing in these times and I have been leaning on it pretty hard. Time has been at a premium, however, so quick wins have been the focus of many projects. Unfortunately, my idea of a "quick win" is not quite the same as everyone else.


To kick start the 2025 season I worked on a Tervigon for DreadTober. It has been a while since I tried the Hive Fleet Numereji scheme and this project quickly reminded me how frustrating it is. It didn't help that the weather conditions were inimical to painting the night I did the colour shift layer. Later in the year I also painted a Ravenor Kill Team in the same scheme. I used them in a game of 10th Edition and they absolutely carved; prompting a unit of Thunderwolf Cavalry to retreat (!), wiping them out then taking out a Repulsor Executioner. That's gnarly!






As January rolled around I started contributing to the 7th season of the 2nd Edition Army Painting Challenge. This year I was focusing once again on my Dark Angels and started the challenge off in a fairly reasonable manner, ticking off my goals steadily. I am particularly proud of the Ravenwing models, which I have been dreaming about for decades.








During the final month I went a little nuts. I managed to finish off some bonus models for my Dark Angels and then kept the momentum going with a reasonably large force of Fallen Angels/30K Dark Angels. I am particularly chuffed about the Plains World scouts; my dream of fielding an infiltrating lascannon scout is finally within reach! 

A bunch of the older models (Rogue Trader era) were kindly donated by Dave Weston of Confessions of a 40K Addict fame. He and his mates put a care package together for me a while back; just a couple of guys on opposite ends of the world sharing kindnesses. I happened to open the package during a really rough time and it was greatly appreciated. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! The vintage Terminators were an absolute joy.
















I also made a huge push to tick off all of the Hobby Bingo boxes for the challenge, culminating in the creation of a massive display and hand-painted background. The display features a Fortress of Redemption I have been working on. It isn't quite finished, but getting very close. Considering how long I have had it, I consider that a win at this stage!




All things considered, I think it was a successful year on the hobby-front. I ticked off a bunch of projects from my To-Do list, but there are still plenty that remained on the shelf. Tomorrow I will be having a think about what the next hobby season may look like, no doubt starting with my 2026 DreadTober entry.

See you across the table,

Marc

4 comments:

  1. Well, congratulations on a real good and productive year! I really enjoy what I'm seeing here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much 2nd Edition goodness there! It was my first 40K edition and still inspires to this day. You've captured the 'vibe' beautifully. Congrats on your results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I had a great time reliving the 90's (particularly the leopard print on the Librarian, ha ha!).

      Delete