Saturday 25 March 2023

Monster March Progress

 



Hi folks,

I have just realised that March is almost over (madness!!) and I haven't posted anything about #MonsterMarch7. I bombed out the challenge last year due to a horror run of bad health, so have been hoping to make amends this year. With the 2nd Ed. Army Challenge about to reach the half-way mark, I was also keen to work on a project that wouldn't feel like I was dividing my efforts. For that reason I have chosen a 2nd Edition Hive Tyrant that will work well with the rest of the army I am currently painting. I have converted it to have wings, which was not an option back in 2nd Edition, but makes for a fun custom biomorph. It opens up an opportunity for me to write a unique Codex entry that can also contribute to the overall challenge. At the moment I am painting it parallel to the other two units I actually pledged for the 2nd Ed. Army Challenge this month: another Hive Tyrant (armed with a barbed strangler, bonesword and spinefist) and a classic Zoanthrope.




So far, I have been able to block in the main colours on each primary sub-assembly, as well as some washes, highlights and other details.




At the moment, I am working on blocking in the main colours on the smaller sub-assemblies, including the arms, bioweapons and tails. This is about as much work as painting a whole unit of little bugs, so I still have a lot of work to do, followed by the basing. I feel pretty confident that I will get them done, though.

To complete one of the side-challenges (secondary objectives?) I have also constructed a faction specific terrain piece. In this case, I have a built a Hive Node, designed to look like a coral outcrop with stinging fronds. The colours fit my swarm pretty well, I think!




That's it for now, hopefully I have some good shots at the end of the month to show off these finished projects.

See you across the table,

Marc


3 comments:

  1. What a fun project! Looks aces so far. Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 2nd Edition colour palette really hits different :-) It has been very refreshing to paint such bright colours.

      Delete
  2. I think Otty has a couple of the Hive Tyrants but uses them as Tyrant Guard, which I really like. I was also desperate for a brood of those early plastic Termagants, but with new gaunts incoming I think my obsession will be sated elsewhere ;)

    This looks like such a fun project, and that Hive Node is a perfect match. As I'm coming to the end of some of mine I'm not sure what will be next, but who knows 10th might just make my decisions for me.

    ReplyDelete