Thursday 25 September 2014

Armies on Parade


Have you got a fellow gamer that constantly throws down the gauntlet, pushing you to become a better painter and modeller? Well, for me that person is Sgt Waz. He has always been ahead of the curve when it comes to painting techniques and converting, at least in my local gaming group. The Sergeant is always willing to lend a hand and participate in painting workshops, particularly at the pointy end of a project, though every now and then he'll glue your turret on crooked (Bwah ha ha: out comes the razor saw!). Since I have known him he has worked on many projects, including Black Templars, Eldar, Tyranids, Salamanders and Sisters of Battle. Here are a couple of his pieces:
 
 
The Sergeant and I have been playing 40K together for about 10 years, having studied together in the same research lab. In fact, the first year we worked together I didn’t even see him for the first 6 months. I did cover for him almost every day though:
PhD supervisor: “Where is [Sgt Waz]?”
Me: “In the biolab.”
Now, I had no idea whether he was there or not, that was just what we said. He was probably at Games Workshop or the movies or something. Since then he has helped me with many projects, including my Deathwing Librarian and Deathwatch Techmarine.




He has the wonderful habit of giving Birthday presents that are fully constructed, painted and ready to play (I tend to fiddle around with them a fraction just to make myself feel useful). One such model, which the guys gave me last year, is having some work done to it right now… so keep an eye out for it.
This year Sgt Waz is going to be entering his Nid army in an Armies on Parade competition and, as I don’t have the conviction yet to enter myself, I thought I would share his progress. As you can see he has nearly finished his display board and I am reliably told that he is working to base all of his Nids so that they are consistent. I have no idea how he is going to place everything, but I am looking forward to finding out. He has also modelled some smoke and installed LEDs to represent an engine fire and illuminate the turbo laser compartment.
 



 
When he has populated the display with some Nids I’ll get him to send me another couple of shots. I have only had the pleasure of playing alongside his Hivefleet once, in the twilight of the last Nid Codex, but we stole so many genes. Cheers Sergeant and good luck!
See you across the table,
M4cr0

2 comments:

  1. That is a fantastic board. Tell the Sgt. You should have some conviction, you're work is top notch. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll get the chance to chat with him today when he introduces me to the new edition of 40K. To make it a little more old school, I have my "Best of the 90's" playlist lined up on YouTube :-)

      I think that when my kids are a little more self sufficient I may give painting competitions a go again. It is just so hard to stick to deadlines at the moment, unless they are 12 months away!

      Delete