Friday 14 June 2019

X-wing Miniatures: Custom "Cerberus" E-wing






Hi folks,

One of my mates from work has been playing a co-op X-wing campaign, centered around an E-wing squadron. Unfortunately, there seems to be an E-wing shortage in Australia. He was able to find some very nice 3D printed sculpts online, which he ordered around Christmas time. Having done some X-wing repaints previously, I offered to paint them for him, but it has taken me a long time to get around to the stage of doing detail. My main issue was that the materials used were so hard to prime! Anyway, I asked his gaming buddies what their favourite colours were, thinking I could get away with a generic scheme with a splash of each colour. The response was, essentially: Cerberus from Mass Effect, Ultramarines and some kind of Grim/Dark Blue (Grim/Darker than Ultramarines). The first completed model is my take on the Cerberus scheme from Mass Effect:










I added just a touch of weathering to the hull, to break up the white just a little bit. Other than that I was aiming for a simple, clean look. Considering the simplicity of the pre-painted miniatures, the highlights on the black section felt like over-kill, but the area was too flat without them.








I included a tiny red glow to the laser cannon barrels, to show that they are Rebel ships. Similarly, I gave the engines a pinkish glow.








The next ship will be in a scheme similar to the Ultramarines, which I know well enough. Then for the last one I will need to drop the blue to a deeper, stormy shade, though I need to consider the spot colours for that one pretty carefully before I proceed. At this stage I don't know whether maintaining some kind of squadron coherency in the scheme is possible, or even worth it, but that is the kind of thing I would usually aim for. Wish me luck ;-)

See you across the table,

Marc


2 comments:

  1. Great paint job!

    Maybe a squadron mark would help tie the three different color schemes together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, I'll definitely think about how I could do that (i.e. what mark and where to put it). I was also thinking that I could use the same spot-colours across the squad. Cheers :-)

      Delete