Saturday 28 March 2020

Iron Snakes: Apothecary Khiron TO-DONE!!!







Hi folks,

Last night was our annual get together to remember Joel, my best mate who passed away a while ago. The other two times we have gathered together like this, we have started the night off at the local Catholic Club, where we used to meet up during our Uni years for a cheap feed. We would then head on back to Wade's place for a night of remembering and laughing/crying into our beers. Of course, last night was a little different, owing to the isolation guidelines in place in Australia (I am not a fan of the term "social distancing", we are all pretty damn close last night, socially speaking). All of my mates logged into a Discord chat and spent the night chatting about the world. We are spread out pretty far and wide (one of us dialed in from New York), so it was heartening to hear everyone's voices.

While we were chatting I got out my Iron Snakes Apothecary and painted him. Khiron is a character in Dan Abnett's Brothers of the Snake; one of my personal favourites. He also happens to be the last marine in my 2000 pt list! At some point Benny fire up Jackbox, which led to about 90 minutes of schoolyard giggling. If there are any wobbly lines in the paint-job, I blame it entirely on the exhausting amount of laughing I did. It was a special night, so there will be no touch-ups of this model. Instead, it will be symbol of the little bit of healing we did last night.

















I finished Khiron at about 10.30 pm, then got myself a beverage and played a few games on Jackbox. At some point, people started trickling away into the night (or morning in New York). The few of us remaining made a few plans to set up some online BattleTech games using MegaMek and headed off with fuzzy heads to bed.

So, cheers to you Joel. The first Ghost Bear. Your legacy is secure.

See you across the table,

Marc



10 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic. Wish I could paint white that cleanly.

    Me and my Pokemon tournament buddies have also been using Jack ox to stay close and connected during lockdown in the UK. It's so touching to see it used for such a poignant purpose too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, I could have done a little better with the white, but I'm very happy with it. The trick is to undercoat in a bright white to start off with; I use an airbrush. I then do a heavy Nuln oil wash and then glaze over any areas that are left too dark with white paint thinned to the consistency of milk. The more glazes the smoother the transition and brighter the white. It takes a long time!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great way to remember your friend, and looks like a great 'final' model for the army- we both know there will be more!
    It's good to see even as the world is forced to become more isolated by this virus that our technological abilities keep us together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have 5 Terminators constructed and undercoated!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a night well spent! I love painting while on vioce calls if I am able to. Feels like I'm double productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really growing on me, though audiobooks are a good option as well. I'm thinking about setting up a painter's Discord channel.

      Delete
  4. Great job and glad you are coping well with the isolation/lockdown/distancing measures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, yeah it is not too bad, though teaching 6-7 hours a day does make you truly sick of technology by the end. It is a good thing we live near bushland, now that the fire risk is lower, so that we can take long walks.

      Delete
  5. I love the white armour, very reminiscent of Imperial Stormtroopers. An excellent job bringing a fictional character to life and a cool salute to a departed comrade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely some Imperial Stormtrooper in there (hopefully more accurate!). Cheers :-)

      Delete