Sunday 22 March 2020

Monster March: Space Hulk Broodlord TO-DONE!!!








Hi folks,

I have finished my Monster March project a week ahead of schedule because, as mentioned in my previous post, I now have much bigger (and woodier) fish to fry. This Broodlord is special for two reasons: it is one of the characters on my 2019/20 To-Do list and the paint scheme is a significant departure from my usual speed-painted metallics.










Instead, I chose a more classical genestealer scheme. The paints I used were Purple (Model Colour) and Periscope (Panzer Aces), from Vallejo. This will be really handy when it comes around to painting the normal genestealers, as I will be able to use the airbrush for most of the scheme.











I painted a mixture of Deathwing and Blood Angels Terminator helmets on the base, as I am hoping to have models to represent both factions in my set. Painting all of those skulls was a bit of a nightmare, to be honest. After the initial coat and washes they looked very messy, so I needed to touch each one up with Bleached Bone and white to make them presentable. I enjoyed weathering the buggins out of the rest of the base, though.











Pink isn't a colour I use very often, but I think I managed to get it right on the tongue. Even though they were small, the teeth were a lot of fun to paint; I don't think I have painted white teeth before!











Part of me wishes I had pushed the highlights a little brighter, but finished is better than perfect at this stage. From this angle you can also see the Deathwing helm in the Broodlords claw. I think the white contrasts nicely against the darker carapace armour.

Next in the Space Hulk project I will be painting the Blood Angels Librarian, to round-out the characters. That won't be for a while though, as I tackle the Sylvaneth Treelord for the Monsters painting competition and finally... finally... finish the Sisters of the Thorn for Penny. Until then, it is definitely time to give myself a stamp!

 




See you across the table,

Marc



12 comments:

  1. The highlights on the purple and the black really make the miniature! And of course the base is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I didn't leave the base until last in this case, it had so much detail it really did need to be worked on consistently during the project. Cheers :-)

      Delete
  2. I love the old school genestealer colour scheme. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to doing the little guys now, I think this scheme will look great in a horde.

      Delete
  3. Every six months or so I get the itch to track down a Space Hulk set and get it painted up. I was gutted when I had to sell my 2009 edition a few years back.

    This post has reignited that itch. Looks fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited to buy it, but then it sat untouched for years! I would love an expansion for it if GW ever got around to doing one. Grey Knights with Daemons would be incredible.

      Delete
  4. Nice, box art colours look great on that beast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally couldn't go past the box art. I am usually an advocate for paint your own adventure, but I am going fully classic on this project!

      Delete
  5. He came out fantastic! Congrats on your results. I love the little details; esp. the Deathwing helmet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, it definitely ramps up the pressure for me to finish some Deathwing models to claim it back though!

      Delete
  6. It's beautiful. You obviously have too much time on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I wish. As a teacher my work level just doubled. I have been forcing myself to take time off every day to de-stress which is really knocking my projects over!

      Delete