Tuesday 25 April 2017

Van Diemen's World Devils: Battlewagon TO-DONE!




Hi folks,

Today is ANZAC day; a day of remembrance in Australia where we honour the men and woman who have served in the armed forces. In case you aren't familiar with Australia's military history (I wouldn't expect you to be), our soldiers have served in many conflicts in support of the Commonwealth and other allies, and the defense of many nations. When an Australian travels through Europe, they are rarely far from hallowed ground; we are buried everywhere. To honour them, I have been working on some Van Diemen's World Devils for the past 12 months, an Imperial Guard regiment that strongly borrows from the iconic image of an Australian "digger" in a slouch hat.





Like the previous ANZAC day, I spent a bit of time working on my Van Diemen's World Devils and managed to get their transport finished. I started work on the "re-looted" battlewagon last year, in a frenzy of conversion work. Today I added the finishing touches to the driver, Colonel Clancy, the twin heavy bolters, exhaust and rear assault hatch.





Here you can see the layer of 'ardcoat I have applied to the "roo-shootin'" lamps. No kangaroos were shot during the creation of this battlewagon.


I added carbon scoring to the exhaust to maintain the dirty, weathered appearance.






The rear of the Battlewagon includes the assault hatch of a Black Templar Landraider. With Australia's convict history, it was fun to imagine they had "acquired" the hatch and put it to good use. I am sure they will give it back some day.






The troop compartment got a few more highlights, 'ardcoat on the computer screens and some splashes of Tamiya Clear Red: I thought if I was honouring sacrifice I should provide some evidence of sacrifice. Probably just a flesh wound...










Colonel Clancy is named after a character from "The Man from Snowy River", Clancy of the Overflow. Described as one of the greatest horse riders, he is the only one to encourage The Man from Snowy River as they prepare to chase the colt from old Regret:

"But still so slight and weedy, one would doubt his power to stay,
And the old man said, "That horse will never do
For a long a tiring gallop - lad, you'd better stop away,
Those hills are far too rough for such as you."
So he waited sad and wistful - only Clancy stood his friend -
"I think we ought to let him come," he said;
"I warrant he'll be with us when he's wanted at the end,
For both his horse and he are mountain bred."

"He hails from Snowy River, up by Kosciusko's side,
Where the hills are twice as steep and twice as rough,
Where a horse's hoofs strike firelight from the flint stones every stride,
The man that holds his own is good enough.
And the Snowy River riders on the mountains make their home,
Where the river runs those giant hills between;
I have seen full many horsemen since I first commenced to roam,
But nowhere yet such horsemen have I seen."
 

I love this part of the ballad, because it foretells what is to come. Clancy seems like a good bloke, so I made him the inspiring Colonel. The miniatures face also looks eerily like Jack Thompson, the actor who played Clancy in the film.





"Coo-ee- won't YOU come?"



The transport joins a small force comprised of a female infantry squad and Commissar. Next time I see my mate The Trooper I'll be passing them all on to him, to add to his Australian themed Imperial Guard (Astra Miliwhatsits) army.





Lest we forget,

Marc


2 comments:

  1. Brilliant inspiring work flove the "diggers" theme THANKS for sharing - A grateful Brit for what we owe our cousins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate :-) My parents are both Dutch and were born in occupied Netherlands. I feel that we are all heavily indebted to each other for getting through that mess.

      Delete