Wednesday 2 July 2014

Dark Angels 3rd Company: Company Champion Valefor

 

Hi folks,

I had a couple of hours this morning to do some painting; a surprise gift from my wonderful wifey after a horror week. I chose to spend time on my Dark Angels 3rd Company Command Squad, which is about 50% complete. This is the first unit in my 3rd Company project, in which I am aiming to collect and paint the entire company. I have all the bits, just not the time...

The Company Champion is armed with a Blade of Caliban, bolt pistol and combat shield. Rules-wise, the blade is a deadweight. It provides a +1 strength bonus but hits at initiative 1. I would much prefer the thunder hammer/storm shield combo available to the other Chapters, which is a lot scarier to characters the champion may face. What would be really interesting is to bend the rules a little and give him the relic Monster Slayer of Caliban sword. It would provide a random bonus to strength and hit on initiative, with the chance of causing instant death. The expense on such a fragile character would balance this alone, so I am keen to give it a go.

Valefor is named after a fallen angel, just like the rest of the Dark Angels characters. The name refers to an angel with the head of a lion. The pics below show a few different angles, including some detail on the shield. Enjoy!

See you across the table,

M4cr0



2 comments:

  1. I keep looking at how the Champion would fair in the duel with a Space Wolf Champion, should they have to take the field alongside/against each other. I think we'd get pummelled!

    I like the way his bolt pistol is behind the Combat Shield, nifty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of the first things I thought about too, even though I haven't played against Space Wolves since 2nd Ed. As rare as those challenges are, it would be nice to be a bit more competitive.

    The bolt pistol is supplied behind the combat shield, but you have to do quite a bit of repositioning to make it visible on the finished product. Nothing a razor saw and some green stuff can't fix. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete