Friday 25 August 2017

2016/17 Hobby Season Review




Hi folks,

As another hobby season draws to a close it is time to look back over the year that was. If I had to summarise the whole 12 months, I would have to say it was a year of distractions. Very early on in the season I got wonderfully bogged down in some projects for my friends. Shortly after that, my dog Gypsy died, and that really cut the legs out from underneath me. I still haven't been able to finish the Iron Snake Centurions that I was working on at the time; too many weird feels. Hopefully I'll get back to them for Squaduary next year.

That leaves me with the stuff that I actually did finish; lets take a walk down memory lane...


Master of the Forge Odyssean

This was my first HQ unit for my Iron Snakes army. Instead of fortifying static defenses, this Techmarine forges shields for the most stoic of Ithaka's sons.







Dreadtober Dreadnought

I love Dreadtober. This year I went all out and constructed a Techmarine Dreadnought, which I then painted in a Deathwatch scheme.







300 pt Yu Jing Army

Sgt Waz and I joined forces to speed-paint this Infinity army for The Trooper for Christmas. They were great fun to paint and the Domaru in particular look as hard as nails. We have played a few games with, and against, them, and the list really smashes face.















"Bladewing" B-wing Repaint

I have never been a big fan of the alternative paint scheme for the B-wing. So I did an... alternate alternate scheme based on the prototype B-wing form the Star Wars Rebels series.







Labyrinth Figures

I bought my wife Jim Henson's Labyrinth boardgame for Christmas. I some how managed to finish painting the last figure at 2 am on Christmas morning. The detail on Sir Didymus was excruciating. I was painting in between breaths and ended up having a few heart palpitations. Don't hold your breath too long when painting detail kids!





Master Belial

I added some finishing touches to Belial, providing my Dark Angels with a much needed HQ unit. I think I may re-do the base at some point.









Van Diemen's World Devils Battlewagon

This project had been lying around waiting to be finished for 12 months and I finally managed to knock it over in time for ANZAC day. I really love the grungy, steam engine look I managed. If fits the theme nicely :-)









30K Death Guard Marine

I joined the 30K Google+ a while back, with the plan of building up a small 30K Dark Angels force. They ran a competition where each entrant was assigned a random Legion and I was given Death Guard. My idea for this guy was that he was a loyalist in Garro's Chapter. I had a great time posing and weathering this guy.











Dark Angels Master in Gravy Armour

Sgt Waz gave me this guy for my Birthday and I spent a couple of hours adding some extra details that I don't always have time for. I was really happy with how the sword and OSL worked out.







For a while, I kicked myself about how many of my To-Do list projects I never finished. Looking back, I can see that just about everything this year has been about painting gifts for, and from, people that I love, as well as contributing to communities that I really care about. In that regard, this year has been exceptionally successful. I am hoping that next year is much of the same, with perhaps a few more big orange stamps!

See you across the table,

Marc



No comments:

Post a Comment