Friday 2 October 2020

DreadTober: Knight Preceptor Construction Completed

 






Hi folks,

DreadTober has begun! I have just finished the first week of the Spring break here in Australia and, in true hobby butterfly fashion, I have been flitting between projects. Over the past couple of days though I have knuckled down and constructed all of the sub-assemblies for m Imperial Knight Preceptor "Achilles" Aeternum. This is the last big Imperial Knight from my 1500 pt Walls of Ithaka army list (just an Armiger Warglaive to go...).






It may seem like an awful lot of sub-assemblies, but I have enough experience with these knights now to know what is hard to get at. The next step will be to apply the undercoats in different colours (black for metallics, white for reds and blue free-hand). I have the airbrush which I can use this time as well; I am going to try and apply the light blue that way.

The head I have chosen for this knight is the last one I have kept for myself, out of all of my spares. I sent the rest "across the ditch" to D power who uses them for Terminator shoulder pads! This one is from the Warden/Crusader kit that Dave Weston gave me a few years back; it features (what I call) the Death's head helm of the Mechanicum on one half and a skull on the other. As I have done previously with my Sternguard Sergeant Thanatos, the skull references the role the underworld plays in Greek mythology and the character of Achilles:












I have converted a multi-laser for the auxiliary weapon, similar to the load-out Canis Rex has. It doesn't have any rotary features but I figure it is different enough to everything else my usual opponents won't mind.












Of course the main stand-out feature of this built is the las-impulsor.  The resin parts are from Taro Modelmaker which I originally found on Etsy. The parts were not expensive and shipping was very quick. I think you will agree that the sculpt itself is just amazeballs. If you are interested in converting your knight, or just checking out amazing conversion parts in general, check out the website. The pieces are stupendously good.









Alright, so that's the easy part done. Now all I have to do is everything else!






See you across the table, 

Marc




5 comments:

  1. Rock on! Nice looking conversions for a preceptor. Can't wait to see the paint on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers mate; I'm hoping to get the airbrush out today, though it is a cracking hot day for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I mention a certain sprue I just managed to get off ebay? Once again Marc we're in sync. I've got a Preceptor sprue arriving at the weekend. I couldn't believe how good value (points wise) he is in game and the Las Impulsor is a halfway house between Battle and Thermal Cannon. On top of that he buffs the Armigers and I do fancy a couple of Helverin.

    I looked at Taro for the Impulsor, but I got a good deal for the whole Preceptor sprue, just missing the Thermal Cannon weapon shield. I also liked his Helverin guns, so I could use my Armigers as their weapons are magnetised anyway. Unfortunately I thought converting a quad gun might be better value instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't mention it, but at this stage nothing surprises me anymore LOL :-) I have also ordered an alternate head and sword from Taro for the Armiger Warglaive I ordered off eBay (I can only fit 1 in my 1500 pt list). Achilles will get a little Patrocles to follow him around (and buff)! I can't wait to rage when the little guy gets killed...

      Delete
  4. Go big and go home! I like it, more knights are always good.

    ReplyDelete