Friday, 3 June 2022

2nd Edition Army Challenge Round 3 Complete!

 



Hi folks,

May was the final month of the 2nd Edition Army Challenge, run by Dr The Viking over at Cowabunga Journal. With over 20 2nd Ed. enthusiasts contributing it was amazing to see the final showcase of armies. The forces painted were diverse, painted in all different styles but each oozing with that '90s 40K flare. My model count at the end was a little embarrassing, you really don't get many Legion of the Damned marines for 1000 points, but I don't think I would have had time to do more even if I wanted to. Each required a huge amount of preparation time and the free-hand work was wonderfully time consuming. I really have to tip my hat off to the folks who painted 50+ models, just amazing!

Reflecting on what I have managed to put together, I have to say I am very proud. This was the kind of army I was dreaming of when I started in 40K. It's not prefect by any stretch, but it has the vibe I have always carried in my heart. When I painted them back in the '90s I encountered heaps of painting, modelling and logistical challenges that I never really overcame. For example, I always wanted a model for Sergeant Centurius, but being a limited edition model that was only available overseas, I was told time and time again that I would never get my hands on one. I could never settle on a way to paint the Dreadnought's powerfist, so repainted it many times. One time I painted it (as I have done during the challenge), but decided it was too garish! It's back now in its old glory. I also simply did not have the brush control to do much free-hand back in those days; all that work on my Iron Snakes has finally brought me to a level where I can give it a go.

I still have a few models to paint before I can truly call this army complete. I think I am going to aim for 1500 points in total, which will include some more bikes, a techmarine and a Chaplain (both on bikes). The techmarine I had put aside as a bonus model will probably now get bumped down the line and join a future 2nd Ed. army, which means I need to convert one of the bikers I have left over.  At this stage, I am not sure whether I will punch on with them immediately or have a little break, as I am feeling a little burnt out from the scheme.

The last model I painted for the challenge was a Landspeeder. I painted it in a bunch of sub-assemblies but it went together easy enough. They are a bit of a pain but if you take your time and let certain parts set before you do the rest it is a lot easier. Overall I am very happy with how it turned out, though I wish I had added another bite of bone to the front somewhere.








The best part of the challenge has been catching up with other vintage 40K collectors and gamers from around the world online. We share so much more than 40K in common, it is a shame we can't all meet up and have a few games together. Im hoping to meet up with the Australian challengers, so hopefully I can post some retro battle reports here soon.

See you across the table,

Marc


4 comments:

  1. thats some pretty crisp detail on the flames. Thought they were decals at first inspection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, mate. I blocked then in with Corax White before adding the warm hues. I easily spent double the time I usually take to paint each model doing those flames :-)

      Delete
  2. Yes, super cool freehand. What a great looking 2nd ed force! Congrats on your results there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful collection! Amazing small in comparison to today the 2nd edition Armies are. Especially if is such an elite force as the Legion of the Dammned!

    ReplyDelete