Friday 7 November 2014

The Lion Awakes



 
Hi folks,

The past week has been absolute bedlam at work, it is examination and reporting period with very short deadlines, which means I haven't had that much time to work on anything new. Unfortunately, it looks like it will get worse before it gets better, so I may not post much during the next week. Rest assured, I have been painting a lot of snakes during my work breaks...



Another project I have finished during my breaks is a stand-in for Lion el'Jonson, Primarch of the Dark Angels. The figure is a conversion using pieces from Scibor Miniatures, a great little SF and fantasy model company. He stands a lot taller than a normal marine, as the scale of their miniatures is a little different to 40K, but for a Primarch I thought that would be appropriate. I'm assuming Forge World will bring out a pre-Heresy Lion at some point, which I will definitely get, but this guy nicely represents what Lion may look like when he wakes up. I've decided that the weapon he is carrying would not be the Lion Sword, which (as we all know) is strapped to the back of some DA wannabe who shall remain nameless.





 

The miniature was a gift that I received beautifully painted, but looking suspiciously like a Salamander! There were also some lightning bolts on the sword that the painter (Sgt Waz), wasn't happy with, but he spent such a long time blending the colours in the sword that he didn't want to risk a cover up. So my job was to repaint the green of the armour, the bone coloured robes, purity seals and part of the base to make it fit in with my other marines, and cover up the lightning bolts on the sword with a careful wet blend. I have kept some bolts on the rear of the blade so you can see what they looked like, though I did add a glaze to knock them back in places. The face, shoulder pads and chest-eagle were awesome to begin with, so I didn't touch them.






Overall, I am now very happy with the miniature and have the blessings of the original painter. Now I just need to wait for Forge World to bring out a "classic" version to complete my collection. That's it from me, it's time to get back to work so I can justify painting and gaming some more later!

See you across the table,

M4cr0

No comments:

Post a Comment