Saturday 13 June 2020

Age of Sigmar: Sisters of the Thorn TO-DONE!!!







Hi folks,

This project has been on my mind (and my paint table) for about 2 years now. It all started about 18 months ago when my daughter Penny and I ducked into my local Warhammer store to pick up some paints. Usually she ducks off when I start talking to the store manager to check out the display cabinets, but this time she scanned the shelves. She came back to me at the end and said she thinks there is something that she would like "one day" and made a bee-line for the Sisters. We had a bit of a discussion about how expensive they were and how hard they would be to put together and paint; maybe something for when she gets older. 










Over the next couple of weeks she started talking about them every now and then, finally making a proposition. She said she would pay for them with her Birthday money and I could paint them for her and together we could come up with an animal rescue game using them and a suitable bad guy (more about that later...). I thought the idea was really sweet, so I went halves with her. I started working on them straight away and they were hard. We got a new puppy and some got chewed. I had existential level anxiety about stuffing them up and disappointing my daughter. It was a rollercoaster ride.



















I finished them just after "bedtime" last night, and the kids slinked out of their room to take a look. Penny seems very excited about them and had been looking over my shoulder every time I worked on them. Hopefully this ends up being one of those things she remembers about her Dad. To finish off the game pieces, I'll be working on a unicorn from Bones miniatures, and Oscar has selected some other City of Sigmar figures he would like me to paint as the second team (he has a thing about griffins...). At the end of the day, I guess this is my passion and sharing that with my kids (even if only as a gift that sits on the shelf) was always inevitable. 









See you across the table,

Marc

P.S. The hair was her idea :-)


4 comments:

  1. Man, that's such a lovely gift! I'm sure that will be one of those things, that will stay with your children. - Especially if the game you're about to play produces a good story (which I'm sure it will).
    I love the different hair colours - gives the unit a varied look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that it is a bit like a carpenter making a rocking horse for their kids. It's just that my horsies are a little smaller :-)

      Delete
  2. Great story and some awesome models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate; kudos to the sculptors, they really nailed these figures.

      Delete