Saturday 28 November 2020

2nd Edition Army Challenge: Tactical Squad Progress

 




Hi folks,

It has been a while since I posted last because the last couple of weeks have been a hot mess. Just over two weeks ago my supervisor passed away suddenly during a game of indoor soccer, leaving a gaping hole in the universe. Between his tragic passing and his memorial, I went away for a school camp with a young group of children (including one of his little ones). As you can imagine, the word exhaustion doesn't even come close to how I feel, physically, mentally and emotionally. I have passed beyond the point of "running on vapours".

Just before I left, I spent a whole day consumed by painting this combat squad. It was something I had to do to get my head in a different space, that would provide me with some kind of peace that I could draw upon while I was away supervising 24 hours a day. The result, if not perfect, is very cathartic. I think I have captured the 2nd edition vibe well, particularly with the gold trim on the shoulder pads and the skittles flavoured plasma pistol.








Next month I will be working on the final 5 figures, including a lascannon and a meltagun marine. They will be the final models in my 1000 point list for the challenge, leaving me with an extra month to paint a bonus project. I am torn between working on a special character or a vehicle... perhaps I'll do both?


See you across the table,

Marc




2 comments:

  1. These look great! I love the description of the "skittles flavored" plasma pistol. I'm sorry for your loss, that is a hard enough situation to deal with when any person passes but I feel like it permeates your life more when it's someone at work. It's great that painting and modeling can give you some relief from the stress. Ever since my therapist told me that left brain art activities can be good for processing, I use it as an excuse to hobby even more. "Sorry honey, I have to go paint miniatures now. The doctor said it's good for me" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate; I find painting and other aspects of the hobby very cathartic, at least when I'm mentally in a pace to be able to do them. Sometimes, the world is just too much though.

      Delete