Sunday 26 August 2018

2017/18 Hobby Season Review





Hi folks,

What a year it has been! I started the hobby season with an ambitious To-Do list, knowing full well that the new year would bring all kinds of unpredictable challenges and opportunities. Part of the fun of these hobby planning exercises is knowing when to ignore the plan, there are so many joyful tangents to explore. Without further waffle-making, here is a short review of the projects I completed this year.

Seydon, Iron Snakes Chapter Master

This project has been on my mind since the Primaris figures were released. It was great to see it come to life, giving me a solid HQ choice for my small Iron Snakes force.






Mikos of Lakodeme, Lost Captain of the Iron Snakes

I painted this guy as an entry in D Power's Soulslike competition. The Dark Souls inspired paint scheme suggests that he has been to Hades and back.







"Perseus" Intrepidus, Imperial Knight Warden

I won this figure in a terrain building competition a while ago (thanks Dave!) and have been working on it ever since. I managed to build up some momentum around Christmas time and push it to completion.







Dark Angels Assault Squad

Led by my wifey's favourite model, this squad has a lot of history. I don't use it in games very often these days, but in the past this squad fought in many epic battles, including the Armageddon campaign in 3rd Edition. Repainting them and fixing the Sergeant was an exercise in nostalgia and "happy wife means a happy life" :-)







Plasma Servitors

"VWAP! You could fry half a city with these puppies."







Nephilim Jetfighter

With no interest in having it in my army list, this model was all about having fun with the base. I think it looks... epic...







Aliens Themed Ravenors

I have had these xenomorph heads just sitting around for years, waiting for the right project. After committing to a large unit of sneaky Ravenors, I decided that they would have they honour of being my homage to Aliens (my favourite movie).







Malanthrope

Adding to my HQ choices, I have decided to field a Malanthrope to improve the survivability of my foot-slogging units; in particular, my Hive Tyrant and Tyrant Guard unit. I also love his squidgy fhtagn face.







Grey Knights and Grand Master Voldus

A "Paint My Present Project" for The Trooper. He hasn't used these guys in a game yet, but I am not looking forward to them messing about with my Zoanthropes. I aimed for a Space Hulk vibe with them.








Apart from these 40K projects, I also painted quite a few models from other Sci Fi franchises. The first was a Predalien from the Prodos Aliens vs Predator boardgame that my gaming group have been playing quite a bit of. I got this for Sgt Waz.







Most of the Battletech stuff I was working on was for my mate Joel, who sadly passed away this year. The projects include a Star of Ghost Bear Second line Mechs and a Lance of vintage Unseen Innersphere heavies. I have another one of his units to do, when I find the heart to do it. It is hard not to think of everything I do now as a tribute to him, though I am sure people would get tired of seeing that on the blog; there is a fatigue that follows that kind of reflected grief. Suffice to say, he was the kind of friend that gives you a lifetime worth of inspiration. I'll be burning that candle for the rest of my days.










So, that's it! Not as much as I would have liked (not finishing the Iron Snakes Centurions was painful, but at the time necessary; Squaduary next year...), but still something to be proud of. I have changed my focus quite a bit during the past couple of months, which will be affecting my next To-Do list significantly. I really want to get game-ready and spend more time playing next season. That means getting two 2000 pt armies up to scratch. Coupled with the release of the new Battletech Edition, my first forays into Age of Sigmar (Idoneth Deepkin) and various other miniatures games (Silver Tower, Infinity and Pathfinder, 2018/19 is already looking like a busy season.

See you across the table,

Marc


No comments:

Post a Comment