Wednesday 28 July 2021

2nd Edition Army Challenge: Assault Squad TO-DONE!!!

 



Hi folks,

Back in the 90's when I was eagerly playing 40K but had no money for miniatures, I would often play against my mates using folded cardboard miniatures. They were roughly the correct size and had the wargear written on the back. They were sketchy, but we played some fantastic games using them! One of my regular opponents used to laugh at my assault squad (not too kindly, either), because they were all equipped with powerfists. His beef was that there was only one powerfist on each close combat sprue, so the most I could realistically field, at GREAT financial expense, would be two. Obviously, 3D printing was science fiction at this stage. 

Anyway, with this long held grudge in mind, I set about putting as many powerfists into this squad as I could using only 2nd Edition parts and a razorsaw. It was a painful reminder of how laborious conversions were in those days: hacksawing through an entire metal space marine to get to the powerfist takes some weetbix. I also clipped the hand off a monopose marine's flamer, replacing it with a boltgun grip, so that I can have a flamer in the squad as well. Jumping next to a weak infantry squad and flaming the heck out of them is a good laugh in 2nd Edition. Here are some close-ups of the finished marines.














See you across the table,

Marc




3 comments:

  1. Really awsome squad! They sure pack a punch with the flamer and all those power fists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! If they can get into combat, which is hard with only a 5 man squad, they really do crush things.

      Delete
  2. Very cool; very punchy!

    ReplyDelete